Special Thanks to Dave Edwards of S&E Productions for the creation of this video.
Before you sign up please review the teachers who are looking for a Trucker Buddy. If there is a teacher on the list you would like to be matched with place their city and state in the comments section of the registration form. If not go ahead and sign up and keep checking the list. Let us know when you see one you would like. AVAILABLE TEACHERS LIST
We can also send you brochures to take to your local school if you don't see a teacher on the list. You can also be matched with your own child, grandchild, or relative.
We will not pair you with a random class. You will need to tell us the class you want and we suggest periodically checking the teacher list until you find one you want.
To be a Trucker Buddy requires a commitment of time and energy to help educate a class of grade school children. As a role model, it also demands a high degree of integrity and professionalism. Each driver will go through a backgroud check. All drivers in the Trucker Buddy program must agree to follow the rules below.
There should NEVER be ANY one on one contact or communication with your students unless the teacher is present. This includes phone calls, emails, text, Facebook, Twitter, Skype or any other form of communication. If a students asks for your contact information then call the teacher immediately and let them know about the request. This is not only a protection for the student but for the drivers too. Of course if you have a prior relationship with the student as a parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle then this doesn't apply.
Participant Rules (Drivers and Teachers)
- All participants in the Trucker Buddy program are volunteers. Drivers must hold a valid commercial driver's license (CDL).
- Trucker Buddy cannot guarantee the success of any pen pal match. Frequent and consistent correspondence with an assigned class is essential. Drivers should write to their class as often as possible for the entire school year (typically September through May). Students, through the direction of their teachers should write to the driver at least once a month. Failure to write on a consistent basis may result in your teacher/driver requesting a new assignment.
- Teachers are responsible for managing all aspects of the students' involvement in the Trucker Buddy program. All activities are done strictly with the permission and supervision of the assigned teacher. All correspondence between a driver and students in an assigned class is to be opened and reviewed by the assigned teacher prior to distribution.
- Any face-to-face meetings between the assigned teacher, driver, and class are the sole responsibility of the teacher, school district, and the driver. Trucker Buddy cannot, and does not, take responsibility for, and shall be held harmless from, the consequences of any unauthorized meetings or activities. Please read the Guidelines for a Classroom Visit.
- Drivers and teachers will keep their class/driver assignment as long as they remain in the program and do not request a change. Teachers and drivers must, however, file a renewal form every year to remain in the Trucker Buddy program.
- Drivers or teachers who experience a lapse in regular correspondence should contact our office. Teachers should remember that drivers are on the road for many days each month, and their driving schedules may change. If there has been a disruption in the writing pattern of your driver, it may simply be due to a route change.
- Participants should immediately notify the Trucker Buddy office and their respective class/driver if their mailing/contact address changes.
- Drivers and teachers in the program will receive newsletters during each school year.
- Class assignments are not transferable. All drivers and teachers must apply through the Trucker Buddy office.
- Abusive and offensive language is not permitted, and any violation will result in immediate removal from the program.
- Final selection of class location is the sole responsibility of Trucker Buddy and selection is based on the availability of school assignments in the desired area.
- Trucker Buddy classes are between grades K-8. Exceptions will be made for special needs classes. Home schooled groups will be accepted on a case by case basis.
- Participation in the Trucker Buddy program can be terminated at the direction of driver, teach or Trucker Buddy Board of Directors.